After last, Big Ass Show, Saturday one thing is clear: Summer is over. It's gone, baby. We are now in the season of reverence, thoughtfulness, self-reflection, warm beverages and too-soon festive decorations lining store shelves.
So, in the spirit of the changing leaves and chilly air I have assembled 25 songs that I think fit the season. It's probably not the cheeriest of playlists, but there is some great stuff here. Some of it you may know and some not so much. Some of the songs are new and some old. And yes, the list leans a little hipster - tis the season of scarfs, after all.
Feel free to leave some of your own suggestions in the comments.
(Note: This is a playlist, so hit play and let it roll).
1. Radiohead "How to Disappear Completely"
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Skeletons"
3. Julian Casablancas of The Strokes "I'll Try Anything Once"
4. Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah"
5. Alt-J "Warm Foothills"
6. Arcade Fire "Rococo"
7. Mando Diao "How We Walk"
8. Foo Fighters "Walking After You"
9. Death Cab For Cutie "Cath"
10. Fleet Foxes "White Winter Hymnal"
11. Perfume Genius "Queen"
12. Interpol "My Blue Supreme"
13. Phantogram "The Day You Died"
14. Stars "In Our Bedroom After the War"
15. Beck "Waking Light"
16. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins "Melt Your Heart"
17. Smashing Pumpkins "To Shelia"
18. Young the Giant "Mind Over Matter"
19. Incubus "Stellar"
20. Blood Orange "It Is What It Is"
21. Reptile Youth "Shooting Up Sunshine"
22. Spoon "Let Me Be Mine"
23. Nine Inch Nails "The Great Below"
24. Alkaline Trio "Help Me"
25. Joey Cape and Tony Sly "International You Day"
New stuff today! Let’s face it, so far this year the new music front has been somewhat light. Things are starting to pick up though! Last month we saw some new Coldplay stuff and a new Black Keys album which I loved. So you can imagine how stoked I was when I woke up yesterday to a new Rise Against song in my email. I was quite the happy camper. . Actually scratch that. I hate that phrase as I have never seen someone who is both happy, and a camper.
We're about to be eaten by bears.
Back on topic, the new Rise Against album does not come out for another few weeks, but the new track titled “I Don’t Want To Be Here Anymore” was 100% kick ass. Of course, you can catch the song on X96, or you can use the world wide web and watch the video here.
The other track I’m excited about is a new song from Spoon. If you’re a fan you saw the cryptic teaser titled “R.I.P.” (oooh scary!). Turns out that actually stands for “Rent I Pay” which is the first single from the upcoming album “The Want My Soul”. They debuted the song yesterday on NPR.
I liked NPR when they were just a garage band.
The studio version of “Rent I Pay” is available now, and the album is penciled in for August 5th. Enjoy!