Ok, yeah that was my fault.. Here's the story. I saw the news today that Jack White had added tour dates to his "Lazaretto" tour, and I got all bummed that I didnt see a Utah date on there. So I started wrting a post which would include my amazing MSPaint skillz for my blog. As I'm writing and MSPainting away, I see the following under tour dates "--Oct. 10 -- Salt Lake City, UT (The Depot)--" Holy S***! How did I miss that? I was excited, and then pissed that I'd have to re-write my entire post, and then excited again. Apearantly I'm still learning how computers work...
How do I cook a Hot Pocket in this thing?
Turns out, what I saw was the tour schedule for Canada's favorite indie band "The New Pornographers". They have a new album out on August 26th, and WILL in fact be at The Depot on October 10th. the page had scrolled up while I was feverishly painting Jack White's amazing cheek bones. So my bad if I got your hopes up. As of right this second, there are no plans for a SLC stop for Jack White. Which is sad, because I think he and I would have had a great time shopping for hats.
Suck it, Smith! I already bought the last one.
Jack White IS adding a few more stops to this tour, whic now includes a two-night stand in Seattle, a show at Colorado's Red Rocks Amphitheater, and a tour-wrapping set at the Bleacher Theater at Boston's Fenway Park. The one thing I DID get right was the two night stay in Detroit. What the Hell dude? DETROIT?! Over SLC?!! Where's the math on that one. I demand a re-count.
Anyways, sorry for getting your hopes up. I'll spend the next hour or two trying to figure out how to blame it on Ritchie T.
OH! And just in case you're wondering.. Here are the official dates for The Lazaretto Tour:
6/11 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Mayan 6/12 - Pomona, CA @ Fox Theater 6/14 - Manchester, TN @ Bonaroo Music and Arts Festival 6/25-29 - Pilton, UK @ Glastonbury Music Festival 6/26 - Dublin, IE @ Royal Hospital Kilmainham 6/29 - Paris, FR @ L'Olympia 6/30 - Paris, FR @ L'Olympia 7/01 - Amsterdam, NL @ Heineken Music Hall 7/03 - London, UK @ Eventim Apollo 7/04 - Gdynia, PL @ Open'er Festival 7/19 - Louisville, KY @ Forecastle Festival 7/20 - St. Louis, MO @ Fox Theatre 7/21 - Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom 7/23 - Chicago, IL @ Chicago Theatre 7/24 - Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre 7/26 - Newport, RI @ Newport Folk Festival 7/27 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE Outdoors 7/28 - Detroit, MI @ Fox Theatre 7/30 - Detroit, MI @ Masonic Temple Theatre 7/31 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre 8/01-03 - Montreal, QC @ Osheaga Music & Arts Festival 8/18 - Kansas City, MO @ Midland Theatre 8/20 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Ampitheater 8/23 - San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium 8/25 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theater 8/26 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theater 8/28 - Vancouver, BC @ Deer Lake Park 8/29-31 - Edmonton, AB @ Sonic Boom 8/30-31 - Calgary, AB @ X-Fest 9/14 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post Pavilion 9/17 - Boston, MA @ The Bleacher Theater at Fenway Park
(Photo by Brandon Cox)
Linkin Park will release their sixth studio album called The Hunting Party on Tuesday (6/17/14) and you can stream the whole thing right now on iTunes. It definitely sounds like a return to their Hybrid Theory days as far as I can tell. Listen to it right now and see if you like it.
It’s now time for Boner of the Day (Tuesday recap). 3 news stories -- examples of bad, stupid, or funny human behavior. You will decide with your vote who is the worst, most deserving, of the award no one wants to win: the Boner of the Day. Boner: it means mistake.
Boner Candidate #1 - You Will Take Me To A Jumbo Jack and A Barq's Root Beer, Now!
A Los Angeles teacher allegedly drunkenly pulled a knife on students in their car Saturday night and demanded they take him to the fast food chain Jack in the Box. Read More
Boner Candidate #2 - Congrats On Your Coveted Status As A Sexual Assault Victim
Fox News contributor and Washington Post columnist George Will derided efforts on college campuses to combat the sexual assault epidemic as a ploy to "make victimhood a coveted status that confers privilege." Read More
Boner Candidate #3 - She Wasn't Gonna Need Those Groceries
Thieves stole groceries from the decimated SUV of a Houston woman who was killed in a car crash while driving her two young sons on Wednesday. Read More
It was another close race today, but boner candidate #3, "She Wasn't Gonna Need Those Groceries," won with only a handful of votes and was awarded the "coveted" award of Boner of the Day.
If you haven’t heard of the Rooftop Concert Series that's going on in Provo, then what are you doing with your life??! Watching cheese melt? It's a FREE concert series the first Friday of every month, May through October, featuring upcoming bands from Utah. This is a grand opportunity to check out the latest artists from the Utah music scene before they hit Imagine Dragons or Neon Trees status. They got their start doing shows just like this. Here are 7 local bands X96 has ears on:
1. VanLadyLove (Similar to NEEDTOBREATHE, The American Authors, and Mumford & Sons) Strange name, we know. But these guys will be HUGE. VanLadyLove have had several TV appearances. They performed on the season finale of Sister Wives, They have been touring like crazy all through the US and they have hit spot #3 on NMS’ Top 100 Artists On the Verge. They released their new EP, “LoveMatter” back in February. Ironically, on Valentine’s Day. They will be performing at the Rooftop Concert Series June 6th with We Are The Strike & Cory Mon. They'll also perform a Beatles Tribute Show June 27th at the Covey Arts Center in Provo. Here's the new single from LoveMatter called “Neverland.”
Facebook / Twitter: @vanladylove / Instagram: @vanladylove
2. The Young Electric (Similar to Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, and Anberlin) Formerly known as The Trademark, The Young Electric guys have been performing around Utah for over ten years. Adding new guitarist, Mat Deason, promted them to leave their old monikers behind and become The Young Electric. Recently, they signed with Tragic Hero Records and hit the road with Hawthorne Heights, Forever Came Calling, and The Animal In Me. The Young Electric just released their new EP, Crows in December. Here’s their latest song from that EP, “Bleed It Dry.”
Facebook / Twitter: @tyeband / Instagram: @tyeband 3. The Moth & The Flame (Similar to Imagine Dragons, Radiohead, and Sparkle Horse) Even though The Moth & The Flame recently relocated to Los Angeles, Their roots are deep in Utah. They started playing shows in Provo, Salt Lake, and Logan, but have moved on to festivals such as SXSW and touring Europe with Imagine Dragons. Not bad. Like all bands these days it goes EP then album, which is due by summer's end. The Moth & The Flame are playing at the rooftop concert series September 5 w/ The Brocks and Coral Bones. Listen to our favorite, “Sorry.”
Facebook / Twitter: @TheMothTheFlame
4. Coral Bones (Similar to Coldplay, Radiohead, and Foster The People) Another band playing the rooftop concert series on September 5 is Coral Bones. This Provo-born, indie-pop outfit has crafted a bunch of piano-driven, pop-rock songs on their latest album, “Youthemism” and is currently working on a new album, including this new song, “Queensway.”
Facebook / Twitter: @icechrisb
5. Can’t Stop Won’t Stop (Similar to The Beastie Boys, Wu Tang Clan, and Macklemore) Let's change things up to keep it funky fresh. Can't Stop Won't Stop is a Hip-Hop duo bound to make you get off your lounger and Dougie around the room. They are Provo-based, but relocated to Los Angeles (where dreams are made, right?). They'll be performing at the rooftop concert series August 1st. The new album Wildebeest is out now. Check out “Scrape The Sky.”
Facebook Twitter: @CSWSmusic / Instagram: @CSWSmusic
6. Westward The Tide (Similar to The Lumineers, Of Monsters & Men, and Mumford & Sons) Winners and supreme champions of City Weekly's Best of Utah Band Showcase, Westward The Tide will be opening up for Local Natives at the Twilight Concert Series. Their sound is something very similar to the folk-rock that's been trending lately by the likes Of Monsters & Men, Twin Forks, Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, etc. However, you'll appreciate less banjo and more melodic vocals from Westward the Tide. You can catch their latest album “Sorry Soul” with this calming piece, “This Heart I Know.”
Facebook / Twitter: @westwardthetide / Instagram: @westwardthetide
7. Better Taste Bureau (Similar to Schoolboy Q, Macklemore, and Ab-Soul) Masters of City Weekly’s Best of Utah Rapper showcase, Better Taste Bureau are loved by those who know for their energetic rap melodies and aggressively hip live performances. A must see if you're interested, but always complaining, that Utah doesn't represent when it comes to hip-hop. Better Taste Bureau makes it their mission to help bring Utah’s music scene out of obscurity. Their new album Outliers is out now. Makes it loud and bother your neighbors with “Out West.”
Facebook / Twitter: @btbslc / Instagram: @btbslc
Written by: Zach McEntire (Intern; twitter: @McEntireZach)
Edited by: Richie T
Monday (Memorial Day)
Tuesday – Killer Homo Impulses Fox News’ Jeanine Pirro discussed on air with Dr. Robi Ludwig the idea that Elliot Rodger (the UCSB Killer) went on a rampage because he was gay. (Read Full Story Here)
Wednesday – Your dead kids don’t trump my constitutional rights Samuel Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, insisted the deaths of innocent people "don't trump" his constitutional rights to a gun. (Read Full Story Here)
Thursday – Modest is Hottest A group of female high school students in Wasatch County say their school took "modesty" standards too far when their yearbook photos were digitally altered to cover up skin, without their knowledge or permission. (Read Full Story Here)
Friday - Isla Vista shootings? I blame the gays. In a discussion with Tony Perkins, president of the hate group Family Research Council, FRC senior fellow Ken Blackwell blamed gays and the acceptance of them for Elliot Rodger's mass shooting. (Read Full Story Here)
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page||Last Page|